Re: Upgrading from Fedora 14 to 15 -> some problems

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto wrote:
> Upgraded from DVD.
>
> Just booted from DVD, chose the "install or upgrade" & then did default
> stuff.

The DVD does not include updates when doing the upgrade, which means it is
fully expected that some packages will not be updated because they're newer
in Fedora 14 updates than in Fedora 15 GA. Running "yum upgrade" or "yum
distro-sync" after the DVD upgrade should fix it. (The latter will also
downgrade packages if even Fedora 15 updates have an older version than
Fedora 14 updates. Such a situation is actually a bug, but it still happens
sometimes, so distro-sync is more robust.)

My recommendation is to use preupgrade or
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum instead of the
DVD. (The former is the official recommendation, the latter is how I upgrade
my machines.)

I have been complaining about this brokenness for years, nobody cares about
fixing it. So I can only recommend to never upgrade from the DVD.

> Next Sunday I'll upgrade another box. Then I'll try to extract records
> to supply to developers. This box promises to be hard because it's using
> an old NVIDIA GPU + manufacturer libraries (not nouveau that's not 3D
> accelerated).

Nouveau now supports OpenGL (3D acceleration) by default in Fedora 15.
(Fedora 14 already had experimental support for it; in Fedora 15, it is no
longer experimental.)

        Kevin Kofler