Re: Is Rawhide supposed to be useful?

On 05/10/2011 11:34 AM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> Rawhide used to be something we could run to see where the distribution is
> going and, perhaps, help a little bit with the quality assurance.  More
> recently, I've been told a few times that I should *not* be running
> Rawhide and that the F15 branch is where the updates and fixes go.  It
> leaves me wondering what Rawhide is for anymore; what value does it bring
> to Fedora if nobody tries to actually run it for real work?

It's fair to say that rawhide doesn't serve the same purpose any more - since
we're branching so much earlier, the thing that used to be rawhide is
essentially the branch.  But the newer form of rawhide does have a feature -
it allows those of us working on multiple features that aren't ready yet to
stage them farther in advance, and to work on them more asynchronously. For
example, we've been working on grub2 support for F16 in rawhide recently.
More generally, from anaconda's perspective we're working in rawhide much of
the time, with the branched release being more stable than it used to be. This
simplifies our development cycle significantly.

> Could it be that Fedora lacks the resources to maintain both Rawhide and
> the next-release branch?

It could be, but I'm not sure that'd be important - I don't think the need
for up-to-the-minute maintenance exists in current rawhide as much as it does
in the branched repo. I think it's that since we don't *need* pre-branch
rawhide in the same way we used to need rawhide, we just don't use it the same
way.

> In retrospect, was No Frozen Rawhide as good an idea as it seemed?

Right now it looks like a great success from where I'm sitting.

--
        Peter