Re: F15's /usr/include/rpc has disappeared; <netdb.h> uncompilable

Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> but it hasn't done anything for the problem that packages that actually
>> need RPC functionality will now FTBFS for lack of a BuildRequires on
>> libtirpc, if not need actual source patches (maybe they were assuming
>> netdb.h would pull in rpc/netdb.h, for instance).  And if they aren't
>> recompiled, they'll most likely fail to run for lack of the right .so
>> dependencies.

> Actually, if they aren't recompiled, they'll still work, using the RPC code
> from glibc. It is still there for binary compatibility, it just cannot be
> used in new builds.

> The problem comes up when they DO need to get recompiled, for whatever
> reason.

Right, I realized that when I looked a bit closer at what the glibc guys
had actually done.  It's summarized upthread:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-May/151182.html

The code in glibc is actually still there, so existing builds should
continue to work the same as before.  The problem is that maintainers of
RPC-using programs now cannot rebuild their packages in F15 without
rebasing them on a different RPC library.  That seems like something
that should not be happening post-release, especially not without the
consent of the maintainers involved.

BTW, so far as I can tell from
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=glibc.git
this change has *not* been pushed into Rawhide.  So a package maintainer
who wants to do the responsible thing and test out his use of the new
library in Rawhide cannot do so.  (I guess he can BuildRequires:
libtirpc, but who knows whether things will be quite the same when
glibc is still supplying the headers ...)

			regards, tom lane