Re: unison updates

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 08:18:23PM -0400, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> Hi, Rich,
>
> I see that you got tagged as owner on the unison packages.  Are you
> planning to package any updates, or did you just inherit it by
> default because of its OCaml nature?

Pretty much I inherited it.

> I was going to write a message to -devel, but then I saw Gerard
> didn't own the package anymore, and thought it best to drop you a
> note directly first.
>
> A new stable was declared in January, so we're officially 3 and 6
> years out of date on the existing packages.  It turns out many of my
> complaints about unison have been fixed in the past 3 years!
>
> Since I don't know any OCaml and this package probably needs to
> combine 3 versions and label multiple binaries, I shouldn't
> volunteer to build this as my first package.  But I'd be happy to do
> some manual builds and share notes if that would be useful.

There was a reason for splitting it in the first place which is to do
with (in-)compatibility between the versions.  Because the protocol
sometimes changes incompatibly between releases and because we want to
interoperate with servers which may be running different versions, we
need to package up the different versionse separately.  However this
is a big pain to maintain, not least because whenever a new
incompatible version comes along we have to apply for a new Unison
package to be added to Fedora(!)

It's probably going to be better to do something with multiple source
files in a single 'unison' package building multiple sub-packages.

Anyhow if you want to co-maintain it, please check the boxes at
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/list/unison*

Rich.