Re: Packages with libtool archives

Sergio Belkin writes:

2011/4/1 Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On 04/01/2011 03:17 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi

Just Âa find on my Fedora 15 system for .la files, results in the
following. ÂDo we run any routine tests for things like this? Âis AutoQA
meant to improve packaging?

I sense a misunderstanding. Though it's right, in general *.la's should
not be shipped, there is no rule which is strictly prohibiting shipping
*.la's, because there are situations when *.la's can not be avoided to
be shipped.

Wha situations? :)

A *.la file can specify linker flags, which libtool adds automatically to the link. An application might rely on this behavior.

This is frequently the case with static library. Although I can't immediately think of a use case for shared libraries, I would expect that there might be some.