Re: What's this /run directory doing on my system and where does it come from?

On Wed, 30.03.11 18:04, Rahul Sundaram (metherid@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On 03/30/2011 05:34 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On 03/30/2011 01:54 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >> Heya,
> >>
> >> I just uploaded a new version of systemd into F15, which establishes a
> >> directory /run in the root directory. Most likely you'll sooner or later
> >> stumble over it, so here's an explanation what this is and why this is.
> >>
> >> It's a fairly minor technical change,
> > It's a massive FHS violation
> >
> > => release blocker.
>
> There are many directories already in Fedora that are not defined by FHS
> and even though we have asked them to update it  (libexec,  /selinux
> /sys etc),  there is noone maintaining it.    Besides,  FHS violations
> do not qualify as release blockers at all.  At best,  this is a dramatic
> overreaction and wishful thinking.   If we have consensus between major
> distributions,  that is the living standard compared to a old stale and
> unmaintained document.   Anyway,  thanks Lennart for taking the time to
> explain the change.  It makes documentation much easier.

Also, can somebody point me to the place where the FHS would say "no
other directories below / are allowed"? I can't find that. And hence
this change is perfectly FHS compliant.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.