Re: Laptop screen not turning off in ACPI S1

Just out of curiousity, I was reviewing the kernel proper for the code that is executed as the system enters suspend and it appears to be allocating a VT and switching to it to display debug messages. This appears to be causing my screen to switch back on since I have a script that shuts off my display when I initiate sleep mode (script found at: http://ltswww.epfl.ch/~dsanta/resources/dell-i8500-linux). I modified the script to work with 2.6.

My question is; is it necessary for the kernel to do all this terminal switching? I'm tempted to patch the kernel to remove the allocation/switching/debug code but I'd like to know if this was done for a reason (other than to output the debug messages).

-Vibol