Re: F15 Alpha impressions

On 02/28/2011 08:43 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>>> Well the primary purpose of the fallback is to home something for
>>> devices without proper 3D acceleration (either because the driver
>>> sucks, the hardware is too old or because it is a VM).
>>
>> ... and to make it easier for people, who don't like the new GNOME,
>> to switch to something more "familiar"? Just to not lose them to a
>> different DE?
>
> No. That's not an intended purpose of the fallback mode. The GNOME team
> expressly does not want to maintain a 'classic' interface alongside the
> new interface for refuseniks, in much the same way as the KDE team did
> not want to burden themselves with maintaining KDE 3 alongside KDE 4. As
> drago01 said, the fallback mode is intended _only_ to cope with cases
> where the Shell actually cannot run.

It's one thing to refuse to maintain another interface just because old
grumpies (and yes I'll freely admit myself being one) don't like change,
but in this case they have to maintain it anyway because gnome-shell is
fundamentally tied to something (3d acceleration) that by its very
nature is not going to be available in number of situations. And as an
consquence, the user now gets (and is supposed to learn) a completely
different environment depending on how and where he/she logs in: think
of multiple computers (some gnome-shell capable, some not) with shared
home directory, remote logins etc.

	- Panu -