Re: GitHub Hosted upstream 'Source0'

Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:22 PM, BJ Dierkes
> <wdierkes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm wondering how other people have resolved these issues for projects using
>> GitHub as the upstream Source0 download provider.

>> Finally, debian has a web app to resolve these issues at:
>> http://githubredir.debian.net/

> Cool idea, although it feels a bit like using some sort of URL
> shortener. I wish GitHub would just fix their stuff.

Seems like really we should lobby GitHub to provide download URLs that
specify the full file name.  There's no advantage to the way they are
doing it, AFAICS, and it's not obvious what file format you will get
from their URLs.  ("zipball" seems a particularly poor choice here
--- personally I'd have thought it meant a .zip archive ...)

			regards, tom lane