Re: Packaging: LDC2

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 10:20:00PM +0100, jonathan MERCIER wrote:
> Le vendredi 21 janvier 2011 à 22:10 +0100, Haïkel Guémar a écrit :
> > Le 21/01/2011 21:45, jonathan MERCIER a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > > I try to build ldc2 but i have a litlle problem:
> > > LDC2 need source file from the garbage collector named druntime
> > > and druntime for build need a compiler D2 as LDC2
> > > so how i could package this ?
> > >
> > > can i add druntime in same package as LDC2 ?
> >
> > One way would be to drop a *-bootstrap package containing ldc2 and
> > druntime, then you could build ldc2 and druntime. Off course, both
> > packages should obsolete the bootstrap package.
> > My fellow packagers might confirm this, but it might require approval
> > from fesco.
> >
> > best regards,
> > H.
>
> Yeah exactly this sound great, what i need do for submit this request to
> fesco ?

No request necessary:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Treatment_Of_Bundled_Libraries#Bootstrapping

You are allowed to bundle in order to bootstrap this in but no farther than
that.  There are a few packages that show basically how to do this -- you
need a copy of the binary that you're bootstrapping with, the binary needs
to be verifiably coming from upstream, you can keep that as Source1 or
something.  It's a good idea to use a with_bootstrap define to
conditionalize the bootstrapping stuff so that your reviewer can see what's
going to happen both during the bootstrap and afterwards.

An abridged example follows:

%global with_bootstrap 1

%if 0%{?with_bootstrap}
Source1: druntime.so
%else
BuildRequires: druntime-devel
Requires: druntime
%endif

[...]

%if 0%{?with_bootstrap}
cp %{SOURCE1} .
%configure --with-druntime=druntime.so
%else
%configure
%endif

When you put this up for review, you should also put the druntime package up
for review that will be used once bootstrapping is done and link the reviews
together so that people can see that all the requirements will be met.  Once
the package is approved you will want to build the packages into rawhide
several times to stop using the bootstrap binaries as soon as possible.  If
you want to build for a released Fedora, you probaby want to have rel-eng
add the ldc2 package to the buildroot so that you can build druntime and
then rebuild ldc2 without the bundled druntime before promoting the package
to the stable repository.

-Toshio