Re: Question regarding RPM packaging of interactive software.

in your fear, seek only peace
in your fera, speak only love
-d. bowie

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 05:57:52PM +0100, Jos Vos wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 09:31:07AM -0700, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
>>
>>> This software (gnumed-server, which is not yet in bugzilla) uses a
>>> postgres database for storing data.
>>>
>>> For subsequent installations (if tried), it simply overwrites the
>>> database. In this process, it asks the user whether to overwrite the
>>> DB or not. My initial thought was to backup the database somewhere and
>>> continue. However, when I asked upstream, they replied that there is
>>> no easy way to restore these databases.
>>
>> But isn't creating a PostgreSQL database at RPM install possible at all?
>> How can the RPM know the access details etc.?
>>
>> Isn't there a packaging guideline that forbids this in all cases?
>>
> There's no specific guideline but overwriting the database would almost
> certainly fall under the reviewers good judgement to stop.
>
> If there's some conflict about that being common sense, the FPC can
> certainly take a draft to be more specific about it.
>
> -Toshio

My understanding was that we never touch databases in RPMs, period.  We
don't create, modify, update, or remove.  I can't recall at the moment
where this stems from, but the rationale, as I recall, was that we can
never be sure if the database is available at RPM install/upgrade time.
Plus, the consquences of a failed or interrupted RPM transaction on the DB
could be. . interesting.

So, in short, don't do it, and but if no one can find a citation in the
guidelines someone ought to write a draft, for that way lies madness. :)

-J