Re: Question regarding RPM packaging of interactive software.

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM, susmit shannigrahi  wrote:
> Yes but you are better off explaining what the specifically requires user
> interaction and we can potentially suggest good ways of handling it to
> upstream

This software (gnumed-server, which is not yet in bugzilla) uses a
postgres database for storing data.

For subsequent installations (if tried), it simply overwrites the
database. In this process, it asks the user whether to overwrite the
DB or not. My initial thought was to backup the database somewhere and
continue. However, when I asked upstream, they replied that there is
no easy way to restore these databases.

Has it been packaged for other distributions?  If so, what have they done about this problem?   We simply cannot ask questions during installation.

Rahul