Re: firewalld - A firewall daemon with D-BUS interface providing a dynamic firewall (test version)

On 01/02/2011 06:16 AM, Thomas Woerner wrote:
> On 12/27/2010 08:42 PM, Casey Dahlin wrote:

>>> Can I ask a stupid question? Does dbus have the kind of performance
>>> necessary to support this type of application?
>>>

>> What kind of performance do you think is necessary? Its just a
>> configuration interface, its not like its pushing all your packets
>> through dbus or asking the bus every time it needs to make a routing
>> decision (or did I miss something? I'd certainly hope not).
>>
>> --CJD
>
> There will be an optional firewall mode, where you can define firewall
> features, the user will be asked about, but this will be limited to new
> connection attempts and not all packets in an established connection.

  I have no idea how you're implenting this - but if you're using
iptables to change the rules the performance can be truly awful when you
have more than a few rules. (I have a lot of rules on our primary border
firewall).

   I switched to iptables-restore and got 2 orders of magnitude speedup
(yes that is indeed over 100 times faster!!) - something to consider.

   gene/