Re: F15 Feature - convert as many service init files as possible to the native SystemD services

On Fri, 26.11.10 16:18, MichaÅ Piotrowski (mkkp4x4@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Sorry for not responding earlier to this, I have been travelling the
last few weeks with little access to the internet.

> I tried it
> amtu.service - Abstract Machine Tests
> 	  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/amtu.service)
> 	  Active: failed since Fri, 26 Nov 2010 19:12:48 +0100; 11s ago
> 	 Process: 2557 (/usr/sbin/amtu $EXTRAOPTIONS, code=exited, status=255)
> 	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/amtu.service

Your process simply exists with status=255, systemd records that and
give that it is != 0 it will make the service enter "failed" state.

Previously the exit code of init scripts did not matter much in
sysvinit, and was usually eaten up. However, in systemd we actually
record if things failed to start up and present them to the user/admin
in "systemctl status". This is actually a great advantage of systemd,
even if it sounds trivial enough. It should be a useful tool for admins
to track down services that don't work and why they don't work.

In your specific case it's probably a good idea trying to track down
what exit code 255 means, and maybe look for a message in syslog
explaining what went wrong in the service.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.