Safest way to go from x86 to x86_64

Hi,

My main box decided to snuff it last week (motherboard and processor decided to fry). My erstwhile friend in the computer shop I use has said that he has a nice 64 bit processor and motherboard going for a small amount of money.

The problem I have is that if I go the 64 bit route then I'll need to install the 64 bit OS (I can stay 32 bit, but what's the point with 8Gb of memory).

Is there a safe way to install the x86_64 system over the 32 bit version and then clean off the 32 bit stuff that is no longer needed? If I was using f14, I'd just trash the drive and then install, but I've got things how I want them under rawhide.

I've not done this before, so advice before I do it would be appreciated.

TTFN

Paul