Re: hosted reproducible package building with multiple developers?

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:01:56PM -0500, James Ralston wrote:
> On 2010-12-10 at 14:02+00 Daniel P Berrange <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with what attacks you can do on mocks' chroot setup
> > offhand
>
> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock> describes an easy one:
>
> $ /usr/bin/mock --init -r fedora-10-i386
> $ /usr/bin/mock --shell -r fedora-10-i386
> mock-chroot> chmod u+s bin/bash
> $ /var/lib/mock/fedora-10-i386/root/bin/bash -p
> # cat /etc/shadow
>
> > but perhaps it is possible to avoid them by also leveraging some of
> > the new kernel container features which allow you to build stronger
> > virtual root, without going to the extreme of a full VM.
>
> There are two challenges here.
>
> First, you must be able to prevent the root user from breaking out of
> the chroot jail.
>
> But second, you must also prevent unprivileged users outside of the
> chroot jail from being able to interact with things inside the chroot
> jail in a manner that they can use to escalate their privileges.
>
> Setting up a setuid bash shell within the chroot jail and then
> invoking it via a normal user outside of the jail is the obvious
> example, but there are undoubtedly other avenues of attack that must
> be defended.

Oh fun, I didn't notice the permissions in /var/lib/mock/$NAME/root
were so open as to allow access from non-root users outside the
chroot. That could be locked down though, so that stuff inside the
chroot was only visible while on the inside.

Dnaiel