Re: ABRT opt-out (was Re: Summary/Minutes from today's FESCo meeting)

On 12/09/2010 10:38 AM, Tomas Mraz wrote:
>> 18:53:17<ajax>  i've heard a modest amount of complaints that abrt is doing more harm than good
>> 18:53:53<ajax>  along multiple axes, but in particular it's simply too much data for apps like firefox and evo for maintainers to respond to
>> 18:54:22<ajax>  i don't have any particular suggestions for this (well, i do, but i'll be politic), but it's something i'd like to see discussed from the distro planning POV
>> 18:54:44<nirik>  yeah, came up on the list recently again as well.
>> 18:55:11<vinzv>  hi
>> 18:56:15<ajax>  is this something people want to talk about here next week, or should it be more of a fedora-devel issue
>> 18:56:38<nirik>  I did note that totem and rhythumbox (I can't spell that to save my life) have the vast majority of bastens bugs.
>> 18:57:23<nirik>  I wonder if we could get abrt to have a maintainer opt out thing that would be easy to change by maintainers?
>> 18:57:35<nirik>  right now it's blacklist is in the package itself.
>> 18:58:18<nirik>  or if we could have them file in another place. ;(

sure we can, but I'm bit afraid that a lot of maintainers would disable
it even without a good reason, so there should be a policy for that

and we're working on feature
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RetraceServer which should fix
the problems with uncomplete backtraces, so at least this complaint
won't apply anymore ...

> ABRT already looks up for the duplicate backtraces. Wouldn't it be the
> easiest way to add some special keyword such as "abrtcatchall" or
> something and if ABRT found an non-CLOSED bug with this keyword it would
> append a new backtrace to the bug instead of opening a new one. This
> should be fairly simple to implement. Of course ABRT would not append a
> duplicate backtrace that is already added to the bug.

So it would store all bt for one component into one bug? This feels like
"raping" bugzilla, which is not ready to be used with tool like ABRT,
but we can do it as a temporary solution...

J.