Firefox, Aspell, and GPL/LGPL

Firefox's spell checker just complained at me about "theater". It wants me to spell it as "theatre", instead.

Running aspell from the command line confirmed that it had to problems with the Yankee spelling, so Firefox must be using its own dictionary, instead of aspell. I distinctly remember an old thread which discussed a push to get all apps to use the system aspell dictionary, where possible.

Looking around, I found an old article from 2006 which claimed that the roadblocker to Firefox integrating aspell is aspell's GPL license:

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/016618.html

However, the aspell RPM right now tells me that it's "LGPLv2 and LGPLv2+ and GPLv2+ and MIT". Looks like aspell's license has change since then. I think it would be nice to review the subject of getting Firefox integrated with aspell.