Re: Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

On 11/19/2010 03:11 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Dne 18.11.2010 16:39, Magnus Glantz napsal(a):
>> It's very important that Fedora doesn't rub upstream the wrong way, but
>> (if it should come to that, or is already happening) is it worth having
>> people change from Fedora to other distributions?
>
> People who switch from Fedora because of broken Flash are probably not
> people we should be most eager to retain. I mean, I don't want to be a
> dick, and I don't want to be nasty to people for their preferences, but
> some other distribution would probably serve them better.

People discussed several possible ways to proceed, proposing solutions
ranging from complete accomodation to a principled stand against flash.

- freeze glibc to avoid this bug ever (OK, maybe this one isn't serious)
- fix glibc or the flash wrapper to accommodate the buggy clients
- bug Adobe to fix the bug ASAP, do nothing in Fedora
- refuse to use flash and work towards replacing it with Free software

Sometimes those choices were discussed as if they were exclusive of each
other--but in my opinion that should not be the case. It makes sense to
me to pursue the last two on an appropriately longer time scale, while
deploying a short-term fix.

Someone pointed out that a negative consequence of the short term fix is
that other instances of the same problem might stay unnoticed---but that
should not be the case if the fix is in the flash wrapper.