Re: Fixing the glibc adobe flash incompatibility

On Wednesday 17 November 2010 15:21:55 Magnus Glantz wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 09:09 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Bruno Wolff III<bruno@xxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> >> I saw memcpy / memmove issues affecting squashfs-tools shortly before
> >> the F14 alpha. So we had some what of a heads up about the issue over
> >> three months ago. It is unfortunate that we didn't catch the flash
> >> issue during prerelease testing of F14. If this really is an important
> >> critera for releases, maybe we should be having QA testing that flash
> >> works.
> >
> > I will be very, very, disappointed if that gets added as a criteria
> > for a Fedora release.  It would be no different than making sure the
> > nvidia driver works, and we certainly shouldn't be doing that either.
> >
> > josh
>
> I can relate to that. I'm all for pure open source, but..
>
> I really can't see why it would be a bad thing Fedora would do QA on a
> proprietary software that is very important for a majority of the Fedora
> users.

We do not want to wind up on Adobe's schedule -- the problem is on Adobe's
end, not ours, and we cannot even send them a fix.  The behavior of memcpy for
overlapping ranges is not even defined, so there should be nothing stopping us
from using a new implementation of memcpy.  The fact that a lot of people use
the Flash plugin makes it even more important for *Adobe* to fix what can only
be described as a bug in Flash, which is the current reliance on undefined
behavior.

-- Ben

--
Message sent on: Wed Nov 17 15:57:16 EST 2010