Re: Fedora 15, new and exciting plans

On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 11:15 -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 11/13/2010 10:45 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:

>   Does anyone happen to know how to mimic the equivalent of panel
> applets esp those which are not a part of fedora
>
>  e.g. I use mathematica all the time and in gnome 2.x I put an icon on
> the panel.
>
>    The only way I could see so far from looking at the gnome-3 website
> is to ALT-F2 to start an application - then right click to add the app
> to 'favorites' ...

Anything installing an application on the system (whether it's part of
Fedora or not) really should be installing a desktop file. If there's no
desktop file, there's no way for the user to launch the application.

In GNOME 3, no desktop file also means that it won't behave properly as
an application.... it won't get the right name and icon in the top
panel, etc.

Once there is a desktop file, then, yes you would add it to favorites.
Favorite are very close in function to a launcher on the panel - you can
get to them with a single mouse-click using the "hot corner" activation
of the Activities Overview.

(If Mathematica has a desktop file and it's just not being picked up by
GNOME 3, then creating a symlink into ~/.local/share/applications will
work.)

Is there going to be a GUI to create a desktop file for a something that
doesn't have a desktop file? (Something like the "Add custom launcher"
dialog for gnome-panel currently.) It's not in our plans currently, and
I'm not really sure where it would neatly fit into the user interface.

One possibility is the one you mentioned - if someone starts an
application that we don't recognize and tries to make it a favorite, we
prompt them for the missing information and create a desktop file in
~/.local/share/applications. But really, it's something that ISVs have
to get right and anything else is a workaround.

- Owen