Re: Changes in Java packaging guidelines - RFC

On Tuesday 02 November 2010, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> Java SIG has prepared changes in current Java packaging guidelines. We
> would welcome wider discussion/comments at this point. From our point of
> view guidelines seem ready for approval by FPC.
>
> You can see current version of draft here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Akurtakov/JavaPackagingDraftUpdate
>
> Changes from current guidelines here:
> http://bit.ly/dy3YDe
>
> Comments are most welcome!

These aren't necessarily comments to the changes, but some long standing
issues with Fedora java packaging that I'd like to see fixed (ditto JPackage
where these are inherited I believe - I was a member of that project for a
long time and already back then had this opinion).

I'd get rid of the versioned javadoc dir altogether, and simply install to
%{_javadocdir}/%{name}.  Unversioned is good for bookmarking and javadoc
crosslinking.

Same thing for jars, I'd just install the jar(s) unversioned (i.e. not put
%{version} everywhere - major version can go there if several versions are
needed like let's say foo.jar and foo2.jar).

I think the versioned jars and javadoc dirs are quite pointless.  If the
intent is to make it possible to co-install several versions, the unversioned
symlinks either need to be owned by each package (thus preventing co-
installation due to file conflicts) or be left out altogether (which makes it
a PITA to use the jars and javadoc dirs) or be left out from some packages
(which eliminates the benefit of the unversioned symlink or necessitates file
dependencies).