Re: Packaging dwm

On 10/13/2010 10:04 AM, Petr Sabata wrote:

> I've been thinking about packaging dwm [1] since we already ship dmenu and
> dzen2. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this fine window manager
> (except for me).
>
> The problem here: dwm is configured solely in C and has to be recompiled
> every time a user wants to change their settings (appearance, behavior,
> shortcuts, etc). In my opinion, we could do it like this:
>
>     - install a Fedora preconfigured version along with dwm sources
>     - copy its configuration (C header file) to some fixed location for
>       user to customize
>     - provide a script to recompile dwm locally using the local
>       configuration file

It doesn't make any sense at all to have a system-wide preconfigured
version installed.

Surely the RPM should simply install the sources, along with a script
that the user can run to copy the config files to the user's homedir
and build dwm.  The user would then have their own private copy of
dwm.

Andrew.