Re: Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2010-10-05)

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 08:29:32 -0400,
  Brandon Lozza <brandon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting, from the meeting we can tell
>
> 1) A number of people want to give Mozilla an exception.
>
> 2) BRANDING is an issue, like I said in another thread. Which is why
> people are against removing it.

People have claimed that the Firefox brand helps Fedora. I'd like to see
some measurement of this. Especially in our target audience.

> 3) Maintainers for Mozilla aren't being expected to follow package
> guidelines, citing the use of system libs as a source of extra work.

Yes and no. There are suggestions that Mozilla does eventually intend
to use the upstream libraries once they are considered good enough
(except for maybe libpng because of the fork) and so the exception is
temporary per library.

> 4) People still seem to think that Iceweasel is somehow inferior to
> Firefox. Plus if Fedora removed the branding it wouldn't remove
> compatibility, source code, plugin support and wouldn't introduce
> so-called "sketchy" patches.

I don't think that just debranding Firefox would be all that much extra
work. Doing that would leave us positioned to do other changes when we
were ready and to be able to more quickly respond to security issues.
Replacing on of the library dependencies would be work and doing all of
those might not currently be sustainable. Also the maintainers of the
affected libraries in Fedora would need to help as there are patches in
Firefox for some libraries that aren't upstream.

There was also talk about whether or not it would be allowed for there
to be a separate Iceweasel package in Fedora. This might be done to
test the feasibility of maintaining it. There were mixed feelings about
this amoung FESCO.