Re: REVIEW/RFC: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft

On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 15:47 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I'd like to ask for feedback and helping cleaning up an updates policy
> draft page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Kevin/Updates_Policy_Draft
>
> How can we clarify the language or the layout of the page to be more
> clear? Are there places that it could be more like the existing package
> update howto page? Could we be more detailed about what bodhi enforces
> and whats just good practice?
>
> Are there other exceptions cases that could be covered that you can
> think of?
>
> NOTE that this is a draft. I'd like constructive feedback.
> If we can get something that looks ok by next week, FESCo would like to
> approve this and put it in place.
>
> Please do try and keep technical and constructive in replies, pretty
> please? With a cherry on top?

- Avoid changing the user experence if at all possible. - this is too
strong condition. In some cases fixing a bug might inevitable change the
user experience and in some cases for example the user experience might
be just severally improved with the new release. So IMO this should be
reworded with much less strong wording such as 'Avoid major changes and
worsening the user experience if at all possible.'

This example is IMO wrong:
- WebKit requires an update to solve a security problem. This requires
updating Midori to a version with some minor menu layout changes. This
would be a judgement call based on how intrusive the changes are
(removing the File menu would be rude, but moving the plugin
configuration menu item would be acceptable).
In this case even major changes in user experience are justified -
knowingly insecure web browser just should not be used.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb