Re: Fedora "backports" repo? (Was Re: PostgreSQL 9 for F14?)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:59:06 -0400, you wrote:

>However, if for example Microsoft had a similar system and did package
>software for it. Their users would be up in arms for the latest
>firefox too and Microsoft wouldn't keep them on an old firefox
>version.

You are ignoring the troubles Microsoft has had in trying to get its
users to update IE.

> Where is the logic in NOT having the latest software as long
>as it doesn't break file format compatibility? On windows the user can

I think it wonderful that you always want the latest software, but
just ask that you consider the view of other people who are trying to
get their job done.

Many of the people using Fedora are using it as a tool to get their
normal work done.  While file format compatibility is one issue,
anything that disrupts their ability to get their job done should be
avoided mid-release.  This can be a changing in the GUI layout, the
ability of plugins to work, or a new version having more bugs.

>Look at openSUSE, GCC 4.5, came out before F13, no banning of LTO. If

The decision on gcc would have to have been made around January, to
allow time for any bugs to be worked out both in gcc and in any
software included in Fedora 13.  I would assume that the gcc
maintainers felt it wasn't ready at that time, plus most of the useful
stuff had already been backported by them into the Fedora version of
gcc 4.4.

As far as LTO, the Fedora gcc maintainers have decided that it is not
yet stable and ready to be used.  The fact that you don't believe the
issues with LTO are important, or that openSUSE doesn't, isn't
relevant to Fedora.  What is relevant is that the Fedora expert(s) on
gcc have decided that it isn't ready for use yet.

>you want something better than stable for KDE you can one click
>install the factory KDE repo. You can one click install the trunk repo
>too. They even have two Chromium branches available for single click
>install (version 6 and 7). Perhaps a single click or easy method of
>installing a yum repo could be invented that is similar to the one in
>openSUSE. That would be a good start.

Like anything else, if it is important to you then you can work on
implementing it.  Fedora is limited in what can be done by what the
volunteers doing the work actually do.