Re: git usage question

On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 10:44:27AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > For libguestfs I'm doing it manually.  I have my own git repo which is
> > a clone of the upstream libguestfs git repo.  In that git repo I have
> > the base stable version (eg. 1.4.3) plus cherry-picked patches on top
> > of that.  I use 'git rebase' when a new stable version comes out, and
> > 'git format-patch' to generate the actual patches which go into Fedora
> > git.  At the moment I hand-edit the spec file to update the list of
> > patches, but eventually the plan would be to generate the list of
> > patches in the spec file too.
>
> glibc takes a slightly different approach.  The fedora-specific changes
> are maintained in a branch.  When I prepare a new fedora build I merge
> master into the fedora branch, run "make srpm" to build an srpm that
> contains the fedora changes in a single patch, and "fedpkg import" it
> into fedora git.

Yes, there is the question about whether to squash the patches,
either into a single patch, or into fewer logical changes.

In libvirt & libguestfs we took the decision to keep a 1-1 mapping
with upstream git patches.  The advantage is it is easy to see if a
particular commit has gone into the SRPM.  The disadvantage is you end
up with a lot of patches in the SRPM ...  In libguestfs I have tried
to reduce the problem by documenting what logical changes have been
backported (where "logical change" ~~ "group of patches implementing a
feature or fix").

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v