Re: fedpkg prep

On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 11:01 -0500, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > Matt McCutchen <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >> I propose that fedpkg should consider a --dist option, a "branch"
> >> file, and the name of the current git branch in that order.
> >
> > Or make it a branch config (eg. git config branch.$branch.dist f14).
>
> This, please.  Using magical branch names or files to decide what
> release a branch corresponds to seems silly when it can be a property of
> the branch itself.

Taking the dist value from the branch name is "magical" in the sense
that it imposes a new interpretation on an existing datum.  Taking it
from a file in the working tree designated for that specific purpose
(which I suppose should really be named "dist", not "branch") is not.  I
believe taking it from the git configuration file is an abuse of the git
configuration file, as I said in reply to Tom.

--
Matt