Re: Orphaned package: system-config-display

On Mon, 2010-08-30 at 22:13 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> (Is it actually impossible for the vesa driver to work after
> KMS has kicked in, btw, or is it just something that doesn't work at
> present?)

Right now, it may work or it may not.  Typically the vesa bios assumes
it's the only thing that's ever touched the card [1].  Loading a KMS
driver usually changes some hardware settings that the bios treats as
invariants.  So, you could load vesa, and it might appear to work for a
while, but it might also not work at all, or anything in between.

It might work better if you unloaded the KMS driver and had it program
the hardware back to its initial state on unload.  But even then you're
hoping you reset everything the bios cares about correctly.

So to be safe, we just don't let you do that.

[1] - Windows XP and earlier only ever use vesa services to set the mode
for the initial boot splash.  So that's typically _exactly_ as reliable
as vesa services ever are: one modeset, probably to 1024x768 or 800x600,
iff you've never loaded a native driver, and anything after that is a
gamble.

- ajax