Re: Search Engine Proposal

(I thought I posted something like this earlier; maybe it was a private
reply by mistake)

Camilo Mesias <camilo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is Google really that bad or are some people being a bit too
> principled? Couldn't we think of the market leader of free-as-in-beer
> search engines as a commodity and just use it while it's free?

I've found Duck Duck Go[1]'s results to have a much higher quality than
Google's. Google has a low signal:noise ratio for the kinds of searches
I do these days.

> I don't fret about running my computer on open source electricity.

Electricity isn't something you can take, modify, remix, and then
redistribute and is therefore out-of-scope for the Free Software
definition.

> I think anyone who shudders at the thought of supporting Google by
> using their search should be condemned to use something that behaves
> like the RH's bugzilla search for the rest of their career... :)

DDG also has a sensible privacy policy (no logs kept (at least that's
the claim)), all https accessible, https results if possible (Wikipedia),
topic searches (!haskell, !python, etc.), and the One-Click Box. The
author also posts some code about how things are done on his blog every
now and then. The category selection[2] is also very nice. Also, DDG
will punt to Google if it doesn't have anything or few results.

I think the search engine field will, more than likely, be dominated by
closed source since other than the code it's all how much metal you can
afford to put beind the url. Even if I'm wrong in the long run (and I
hope I am), we can choose the least bad choice.

--Ben

[1]https://duckduckgo.com/
[2]https://duckduckgo.com/?q=eclipse