yum appmarket

I mentioned this on:
http://skvidal.wordpress.com/2010/08/19/fedora-app-market-proof-of-concept/

last night but I thought I'd bring it up here:

Yesterday someone was talking about installing apps in fedora and how it
was hard to figure out what to install/try b/c there were too much STUFF
in fedora. They suggested an ‘app store’ like functionality. I explained
that all the resources to do something like that exist in the
infrastructure yum and friends offer now. I decided to prove that
concept a bit.

The concept of an ‘app’ is pretty amorphous but I decided to just use
what Colin Walters said was his definition of an ‘app’ – which is any
pkg containing a .desktop file. So I just whipped up a simple tool to
dump out an xml-file of a format yum is already familiar with based on
that criteria:

http://skvidal.fedorapeople.org/misc/appfinder.py

Running that generates an xml file with only the ‘apps’ defined.

Great. Then I wrote a yum plugin to access and use this data.

and I stuck it in this repo

1. copy this file into /etc/yum.repos.d/

2. run: yum install yum-plugin-appmarket

Now yum will have a few new commands available to it:

app-install    Install an App
app-list       List Apps
app-remove     Remove an App
app-search     Search for an App

Some examples:

yum app-search yum

won’t turn up ‘yum’ but it will turn up ‘yumex’.

Fancy, huh?

Now, the concept of an app can be refined in many ways but this is just
to prove that the infrastructure has been available.

-sv