Re: Get rid of file requires outside of the primary paths

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 08:02:13AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> I am a libguestfs user and I'm complaining. It means I have to schlep
> down a bunch of extra info on every update of libguestfs and that sucks
> on my bandwidth.

This is basically a hard problem to solve.  We rely on copying files
directly from the host into our appliance, so we rely on file
dependencies.  We could change it so we didn't need file dependencies,
but that would cause silent breakage on updates.  Actually our file
dependencies currently are conservative and don't cover all the files
really required (just libraries), so if we extended them to cover
completely what was needed and avoid all possible breakage, we'd need
more of them, not less.

Can we make filelists smaller and thus easier to download?  The
current Rawhide filelists.sqlite is 84MB (uncompressed).  Within the
filelists table the only "compression" as such is the use of a single
row for multiple files in the same directory, plus the compression
applied to the database as a whole when it is downloaded.

6342|/usr/share/doc/tuxpaint-0.9.21/docs/is|README.txt/PNG.txt/INSTALL.txt/FAQ.txt/COPYING.txt/AUTHORS.txt|ffffff
6342|/usr/share/locale/oj/LC_MESSAGES|tuxpaint.mo|f
6342|/usr/share/locale/gd/LC_MESSAGES|tuxpaint.mo|f

There are data structures which are suited to storing lists of strings
with a common prefix.  The obvious one would be a prefix tree (trie):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trie

However I tried (ha ha) an implementation of a trie (below) for
storing a simple list of filenames, and it didn't do better than plain
gzip at compressing the filenames.  Though *in theory* it should work
better, so probably I'm doing something wrong.

http://www-tsujii.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~hillbig/tx.htm

Rich.