Re: What does the DVD media check if installing a new Fedora version? / Proposal

Joachim Backes wrote:
> having the following question: What does the DVD/CD media check exactly
> if booting a Fedora DVD/CD? Is it the sha256sum? If yes, why this media
> check, because it could be done after having burned the DVD?
>
> If not, is it possible to perform this media check immediately after
> having burned the DVD (means: can I start the media check from that
> freshly burned DVD?)

Part of the point of the media check is to ensure that a disk matches
its expected checksum even after the disk itself may have changed due to
wear and tear or the passage of time.  Adding this functionality to the
installer itself makes this sort of check convenient to perform
immediately before one uses a disk of unknown quality to install a system.

Fortunately, this does not preclude you from checksumming a disk
immediately after burning it.