Re: dist-git tag question

On 08/03/2010 04:04 PM, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> Apologies if this was asked for and answered in another thread, I lost
> overview. Ralf and Kevin made me realise something that I have
> misinterpreted initially in regards to how packages are tagged now.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_Fedora_GIT claims that tagging is not
> necessary and that the commitid is now submitted to koji. fair enough, but
> the confusing thing here is:
> "When successful on Koji, the build will trigger the package to be tagged
> with the corresponding tag (e.g., dist-f15 for Rawhide [...]"
>
> does this mean the dist-f15 tag is forcibly updated each time a build is
> successful? If so, where is this tag hiding? I can't seem to get it into my
> repo even though it is listed as a koji tag in the emails. Or are we not
> talking about git tags here anyway?

Sorry, there is a term collision here.  The "dist-f15" tag mentioned
above is a koji tag, that is a tag that exists within koji that is
applied to successful builds.  It does not refer to any sort of tag
belonging to any sort of SCM that the build could have initiated from.

> The other question and that may just be a feature request:
> the CVS tags are still visible in my repo, e.g.
> mtdev-1_0_1-1_20100706_fc14. these tags are useful, because in a few weeks
> time I won't be able to remember the commit ID of a specific version (I know
> I can get it from the logs, but it's annoying).
>
> If a build succeeds and is to be released as a package, can koji apply the
> tag again to the git repo? It would allow for simple things like git diff
> foo-1.1-2.fc12..foo-1.1-3.fc13.
>
> Cheers,
>   Peter

We aren't tagging right now, nor will we be relying upon tags for things
like this, because git tags are not immutable, unlike git hashes.  What
is missing is a convenience fedpkg action that will give you the hash
used to build a particular n-v-r within koji.  This type of convenience
action will allow you to get more reliable items to compare, namely
hashsums.

Yes, I know we could forcefully make tags "immutable" with remote repo
configuration, however I feel that would be imposing too much upon the
developers as to how they should use their repos and git features,
particularly within branches.

- --
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!