Poorly maintained gpsbabel

Hello everbody!

I maintain the QGIS package. QGIS depends on gpsbabel, which is owned by
Silfreed, who is also the former owner of QGIS. I guess, he is not interested
in maintaining this package any more as well.

I noticed, gpsbabel wasn't built for F14 or Rawhide. Version 1.3.6 is also
outdated, by the way. I gave the package a look, but wasn't successful in
solving the issue:

Gpsbabel comes with parts of libshape, zlib and jeeps and builds using these.
Whilst you can choose to use your system's zlib, you can't do so for shapelib,
which is only abbreviated from the original, as they state. Jeeps was forked.
The original hasn't been touched for years.

So I guess, it's mainly changing the Makefile to use the system's shapelib.

Maybe somebody can either help me to solve the problem or can take over the
package.

Volker Fröhlich