Re: Firefox 4 for Fedora 14?

Rahul Sundaram writes:

On 07/28/2010 03:33 AM, Brandon Lozza wrote:
Doesn't our version already support WebM?

Nope.  We have updated Gstreamer and WebKit-Gtk in Fedora 13 and 12 for
WebM support bringing it to Epiphany and Midori users and I assume
Spot's Chromium repo users also have support for it but Firefox 4 will
be the first stable version with WebM support built-in.

According to this two year-old post, it's possible to build Firefox with gstreamer support:

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2008/04/firefox-html5-video-with-gstreamer.html

Dunno if any of that is true today.

There's precedent for Firefox using system components instead of bundled ones. Firefox already uses hunspell instead of its own bundled dictionary, for spell checking. It makes sense for Firefox to use gstreamer, instead of any bundled codecs.