Re: Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:27 AM, Chen Lei wrote:

> 2010/5/10 Orcan Ogetbil
>>
>> On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Chen Lei wrote:
>> >
>> > swami(svn) now use gtk2, don't worry about this, it has a quite active
>> > upstream.
>> >

>> I wonder where you got that information. The gtk2 port was stalled a
>> while ago and it is not functional. The author  (he is also a
>> fluidsynth dev) was in exile until yesterday. He just came back to say
>> that he won't be able to find time to do programming for a while
>> longer.

just for reference:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/fluid-dev/2010-05/msg00001.html

>> I don't see swami-2 out (or have a functional trunk)  in the near future.
>>

> I saw him commit the svn two month ago and change the public information one
> month ago. I think the project is still active.

Yeah that is one of the only two swami commits in the last 2 years.

Anyway, do we have a Fedora policy to remove software just because
they are old and unmaintained upstream? If there is a happy userbase
and a maintainer willing to take care of the package, what is the big
deal?

[cut]
> As I mentoned below, some packges need update to the
> lastest release badly to get rid of gtk+ 1.2. And some packages can safely
> retire from fedora, e.g. xmms.

At that point you break a cult. xmms still has a stubbornly loyal fan
base (just go to #fedora and start talking about it). Unlike almost
everything else, xmms never fails to work. We don't want to get people
upset, do we?

Orcan