Re: Retire glib and gtk+ 1.2 from rawhide?

2010/5/10 Patrice Dumas <pertusus@xxxxxxx>
For the applications I know some comments
* I am quite sure that gmanedit is not a manedit evolution. However, manedit
 is orphaned right now (though still not purged).
* xdialog is build twice, once agains gtk+ and then against Gtk2. I think
 it would be nice to keep it that way, though you could also convince the
 current maintainer to keep only the Gtk2 stuff. also xdialog seems to be
 pretty dead upstream too, though I still haven't seen a perfect
 substitute (zenity is close, but not compatible).

There are no open bugs against gtk+ which is, in my opinion in favor
of keeping it. One point against gtk+ is the lack of utf8 support. I don't
know if there are other noteworthy differences.

In my point of view, the only convincing reason to keep gtk+ 1.2 in fedora is if there are some widely-used gtk+ applications that don't have better alternatives with modern toolkit. As you mentioned, gtk+ is the lack of utf8 support, this is really bad for non-English users.  Also, there may be potential security problems exists in gtk+ with dead upstream for 9 years which is really a long time.

The one thing I can confirm is most gtk+ applications with active upstream already ported their softwares to GTK2 or other modern toolkits, the only thing we should do is simply update those packages to the latest version.

e.g.
bubblemon-0:1.46-10.fc12.x86_64
crossfire-client-0:1.11.0-3.fc12.x86_64
dillo-0:0.8.6-11.fc12.x86_64