Re: ABRT duplicate detection

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 09:33:40PM +0200, Radek Vokal wrote:
> > You might all know the MS "search for a solution to this problem" window
> > popping up after an application crashes. I've never seen it doing
> > something usefull, though. But if ABRT could detect duplicate crashes
> > one could use this to display a workaround or even propose an update via
> I've cced the crash-catcher mailing list. Probably the developers can
> comment more about this idea, but in general I really - especially the
> part -known bug & known workaround, which might be linked to a
> wiki-like database of  user problems and solutions.
Also pretty relevant (and implemented by MS & Apple) is whether the crash
has potential security implications.  Doing it "well" is somewhat involved,
but a rough estimate shouldn't be that difficult, look at the backtrace
and do a little-lots of heuristics.

http://msecdbg.codeplex.com/
http://seclists.org/dailydave/2009/q3/11

We may be doing some work in this area soon btw. :)