Re: message from ldconfig

Jakub Jelinek wrote:

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 01:14:59PM -0400, John Ellson wrote:

How about the other problem that was highlighted by this bug: the excessive invocations
of /sbin/ldconfig by rpm causing rpm to run like molasses ?

I don't think ldconfig invocations slow things down as you describe. If the lib directories are in caches, /sbin/ldconfig takes like 100msec. Not running ldconfig after each installed rpm with shared libraries might cause an installation problem - some libraries needed by rpm scriptlets could be not found.

	Jakub

But if the cache has been invalidated ldconfig takes about 45 seconds (on my system).

Why not collect up all post-install scripts, then run ldconfig once after
all rpms have been installed just before running the post-install scripts?

John