Re: Update testing policy: how to use Bodhi

On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 16:33 +0100, Till Maas wrote:

> I have some additions:
>
> 7. fixes bug X, but does not claim to fix it
>
> This can often happen with hardware related bugs, e.g. with the kernel
> where something starts to work again

Oh, yes, I like that. Then the update text could be updated to claim a
fix for that bug, is what you're thinking, right?

> 8. The package updated sucessfully, but was not used intentionally. No
> breakage noticed.
>
> This shows, that at least on the test machine, there are no broken deps,
> conflicts or broken scriptlets.

In my head I sort of had this wrapped up with 'no regressions', but you
might be right that it's best to split it out as a choice.

> Also it would be nice to provide hardware testing feedback, e.g. for Xorg
> updates to say "Works with nouveau, Geforce XY, using VGA out and XV",
> which then shows that e.g. 3D support, DVI out or multi screen support
> was not tested. This is kind of related to testing with a test plan, but
> having this data available in a format that can be easily parsed, would
> be nice, too. Maybe this could be done with adding smolt information in
> the feedback and the tested features (XV, VGA, DVI, 3D, ...) and the
> update needs to have some meta data, which kind of devices are supported
> (e.g. only Geforce devices for the nouveau driver package).

I sort of agree, but it's quite a complex topic and probably would
require some serious design and thinking about of its own, so I was
kinda leaving it out at this stage :)

The infrastructure team is already working along these lines following
Doug's earlier proposal, BTW, so I hope they'll pick up your
suggestions.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey