Re: Stable Release Updates types proposal (was Re: Fedora Board Meeting Recap 2010-03-11)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Jesse Keating wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stable_Release_Updates_Proposal
>
> Here is the link.  I'm going to start a new thread here.

 	# Stable releases should not be used for tracking upstream
 	   version closely when this is likely to change the user experience
 	   beyond fixing bugs and security issues.
 	# Close tracking of upstream should be done in the Rawhide repo
 	   wherever possible, and we should strive to move our patches upstream.

That might be harsh for some soname updates. Six months is a long time
to wait on new functionality after upstream released it. Even for users
running only full Fedora releases. Though I see various phrasing around
this that would allow exceptions, which is good.

Example: SHA256 support added to bind 9.6.2 less then a week ago (from
9.6.1). Bind 9.6.x is in F-12, and arpa. will be signed with SHA256 in
4 days. This leaves quite the window until F-13 is released (where users
are on bind-9.7.x that contains SHA25 already). In this case, F-12 should
really upgrade from 9.6.1 to 9.6.2.

I understand this when thinking about large sets (KDA, Gnome) or common
libraries that has too many in and out of tree dependancies (openssl 0.9x vs
openssl 1.x), but it might not always be valid.

Paul