Re: Not prepared for 4096 byte sector hard drives?

nodata wrote:
> On 15/02/10 01:20, Ric Wheeler wrote:
>> On 02/14/2010 11:59 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
>>> Any truth here?
>>>
>>> http://www.osnews.com/story/22872/Linux_Not_Fully_Prepared_for_4096-
>>> Byte_Sector_Hard_Drives
>>>

>> We have actually been working hard to take advantage of the information that
>> these drives export
>
> Is this the same information as shown by hdparm?

I don't know for sure if hdparm shows it; I don't think so.  If you mean:

       -g     Display the drive geometry (cylinders, heads, sectors),  the
              size (in sectors) of the device, and the starting offset (in
              sectors) of the device from the beginning of the drive.

then no...

this info is exported in sysfs for each block device:

[root@host queue]# pwd
/sys/block/sdb/queue
[root@host queue]# ls
discard_granularity  iostats             nomerges             rotational
discard_max_bytes    logical_block_size  nr_requests          rq_affinity
discard_zeroes_data  max_hw_sectors_kb   optimal_io_size      scheduler
hw_sector_size       max_sectors_kb      physical_block_size
iosched              minimum_io_size     read_ahead_kb

Many of these values are relevant to that article.  Several of these values
are also available via ioctl.  libblkid is a nice interface to get to the
values.  fdisk & parted make use of it, as do mkfs.ext4 and mkfs.xfs ... etc.

Some (all?) of the values above are described in Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-block
in the kernel tree (or kernel-doc rpm)

-Eric