Re: packages requiring me to reboot...

On 12/16/2009 03:43 PM, Otto Haliburton wrote:

windows update will automatically reboot your system when it automatically
updates it windows tried the optional stuff but now almost every case it requires a
restart.

Even when it asks, it does that with a modal focus-grabbing dialog window. I was once working on an important server, and was about to click OK on one of my dialog boxes, when a windows update confirmation popped up conveniently located so that my click went to IT, rebooting the server. The queen was not amused.

HOWEVER, just because Windows suck doesn't mean that Linux should suck too. My own preference would be a more discriminating dialog that offers three possibilities: 'do nothing', 'bounce the service/application' and 'reboot'.