Re: Ubuntu shows updates / security updates on shell logins

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

Newly installed Ubuntu 9.10, when you log in over ssh you may see:

 34 packages can be updated.
 10 updates are security updates.

I think this is a nice feature, because many administrators will log
in to servers remotely over ssh and never see the graphical
indications from packagekit et al.

Administrators should not be relying on logging into a machine to know what is in need of updates. We have multiple mechanisms to notify admins about boxes needing updates. Adding it to the MOTD seems like an odd choice.

> Actually I was trying to work out how it's implemented.  The text goes
into /etc/motd, and as near as I can tell, the Ubuntu "update-manager"
(roughly equivalent of PackageKit) rewrites it whenever packages
become available or get installed.  Is this something that PackageKit
could also do?

Look at yum-cron and how it is can send emails or other events when updates need to be applied.

-sv