Re: Evolution Data Server...

On 11/02/2009 09:52 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 09:36 -0700, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
Hello,

     So this isn't a strictly development question, but based on the
answer it very well could be. I don't use evolution, but the
evolution-data-server is running. Is it used for anything else? If not,
perhaps it would be good to not run it as part of the gnome session when
the users default mail client isn't evolution. If it is used for other
purposes then whatever. Otherwise I can file a bug report if desired...

Yes, several other things use it. It's something of an unfortunate name;
e-d-s is really a generic PIM information server.

It's a sensible model: it lets multiple applications access and modify
the information in question while they are all active. KDE, which did
not used to use this model, had a problem where if anything other than
KMail wanted to use contact data - say you wanted to synchronize it with
another device via OpenSync - you had to close KMail first, or messiness
could ensue (the sync would fail, or in a bad case KMail could fall
over; I think in a really really bad case you could even lose or
duplicate data). KDE is switching to the model of having a server for
this information with Akonadi. GNOME's server for this information is
e-d-s.

The most common non-Evolution user of e-d-s data is the clock applet on
the panel; it notifies you of impending appointments, and it does this
by looking them up via e-d-s. But there are several others too.

Good to know! ;) Thanks for the info.