Re: thunderbird upgrade - wtf?

On 10/12/2009 11:18 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 10/13/2009 11:28 AM, Christopher Aillon wrote:

The changes were not expected.  Actually, the fact that TB3 is still in
beta was not expected, since it was supposed to be released as a final
within a week of FF35.  Clearly, things haven't been going as planned
for upstream and that's had an effect on Fedora, too.  While the changes
are unfortunate, they have gone through testing, and I'll note that
Thunderbird is _NOT_ the default mail client in Fedora, so it won't
impact the majority of Fedora users.  None of this is any excuse for
things, but are important to consider when casting stones.

I am not casting stones. Just frustrated at Fedora updates frequently
causing problems. Was disabling those two features by default in the
update considered?

No, because they didn't cause problems for us or anyone in testing, and the changes were not expected to cause much of an issue. The UI change was obvious, but we had no problem with it, and did not expect an uproar over it. The indexer works for some people without issue, but apparently not for all people without issue. It's unfortunate that the people who tried it after it was pushed live were the ones affected, but them's the breaks. As I said, we're looking at what we can do for both issues in F11.