Re: Removing provide statement from an existing spec file

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:43:38 +0200, Nicolas wrote:

> > SSF> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Separators
> > SSF> "When naming packages for Fedora, the maintainer must use the dash
> > SSF> '-' as the delimiter for name parts. The maintainer must NOT use an
> > SSF> underscore '_', a plus '+', or a period '.' as a delimiter" unless
> > SSF> indicated by the few exceptions underneath.
> >
> > "delimiter for name parts".  That doesn't say a period is invalid in a
> > package name, because it's explicitly listed as valid at the top of the
> > document.  The section you quote indicates why we have "foo-devel" and
> > "perl-Foo-Bar" instead of "foo.devel" and "perl.Foo.Bar".
>
> I don't think the list of examples right below this § supports your view
> (and actually I do believe the list of existing infringing packages is small enough renaming them
> would have been worth removing any future package confusion)

The delimiter is implicit anyway for an ordinary

  %package foo

sub-package definition which results in  %{name}-foo  without that
the packager needs to decide on using '-' or '.' anywhere.
As opposed to doing it explicitly  %package -n something.foo
for a sub-package.

[...]

Why does it need an exception for locale packages?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#AddonLocale

  "If a package adds a locale to an existing parent package, then it can
  use an underscore in the locale."

  Examples:

  ttfonts-zh_TW (adds zh_TW locale fonts in ttfonts family)
  ttfonts-zh_CN (adds zh_CN locale fonts in ttfonts family)

That's the typical "parent-child" scheme, with the locale being a "name
part". Why does it need an exception for an underscore in the child name?
The underscore here is no "name parts" delimiter, but part of an ordinary
package name.