Re: IDEA: Shortening boot-time

Hi,

Kudzu depends on USB keyboard being present (as does the "i" key and
the fsck options stuff). Once there is a USB keyboard present then we
could proceed (or on a timeout when we conclude there is no keyboard to
be found)

That sounds broken to me. IMHO the interactive stuff (fsck, interactive startup) should be invoked as early as possible so that we still have the BIOS provided HID emulation. Otherwise a corrupted fs/usb host driver may render the system useless.

If we really need the full USB subsystem then why don't we just increase the timeout of fsck to account the usb enum delay? That will give the hotplug system enough time to come up with a working HID to control the interactive fchk session. /dev/input should handle that just fine.

So i'm not willing to buy this point (yet) :-)

Regards,
  Florian