Re: Minitube - youtube for your desktop, still a little early in development

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 23:25 -0400, Michel Alexandre Salim wrote:
> That was the rationale for vagalume ending up in rpmfusion-free: the
> code itself is fully free, but it's not usable without some
> patent-encumbered codecs.
>
> By that rationale, though, shouldn't totem-youtube end up in rpmfusion-free too?

My understanding is that Totem (and its YouTube plugin) simply call out
to Gstreamer, and the Gstreamer libraries (through PackageKit's
automatic-installer plugin, if necessary) are responsible for the
decoding. So, the Totem plugin itself is not patent-encumbered by any
means.

Then again, it is also not very usable without those codecs, either.
Maybe it should be moved to the RPMFusion Free repo?
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42) <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Who am I? :: http://thecodergeek.com/about-me